Cotton, Cricket and Soccer: Billy Cook dinner, the Lifetime of a Lancashire League Legend is the colorful story of considered one of Lancashire’s biggest sportsmen of the pre-war period, together with insights from his daughter, a mill-worker in Burnley
Billy Cook dinner performed cricket within the golden period of ‘Gents and Gamers’ however he was no gentleman. He performed to win and he performed for cash – the cash generated by the cotton mills of Lancashire.
Billy performed with and towards a number of the legends of the time, together with Syd Barnes, Archie MacLaren and Learie Constantine. Within the winter he was a hard-tackling full-back for Oldham Athletic, who achieved nationwide notoriety for his win-at-all-costs strategy to the sport.
Billy’s sporting profession was interrupted by his service on the Western Entrance, the place he narrowly averted dying. He returned to the Lancashire League to set information that also stand at the moment. Cook dinner was the archetypal hard-nosed skilled, who entertained the working males of Lancashire for greater than 30 years.
Cotton, Cricket and Soccer is the outstanding life story of Billy Cook dinner, the Lancashire League’s biggest ever bowler, who additionally performed top-level soccer. Examine:
- How class prejudice led to Billy Cook dinner turning his again on county cricket, and a possible England profession, in favour of the Northern leagues
- A controversial sending off and a document one-year ban from soccer with Oldham Athletic on the verge of turning into champions of England
- The total particulars of the match-fixing scandal that rocked soccer and led to a lifetime ban for Billy’s brother Lol
- Rumours of his dying ‘enormously exaggerated’ as Billy Cook dinner makes it again alive from the Western Entrance
- The fascinating historical past of the primary girls’s cricket groups
- A protracted-running friendship and rivalry with the legendary SF Barnes
- How Nelson’s Learie Constantine grew to become Britain’s highest-paid sportsman
Paul Kaye is the great-grandson of Billy Cook dinner and grew up listening to his grandmother eulogising in regards to the nice sporting feats of her father. It’s a narrative of a outstanding life that Paul is uniquely positioned to inform. Paul has beforehand written one acclaimed non-fiction guide primarily based on his profession within the meals trade.