Filled with taste and excellent for making forward, this home made candy potato casserole will steal the present at your subsequent vacation meal. Crunchy candy brown sugar pecan crumble covers each chew of this buttery candy potato mash. After your first forkful, you’ll already be enthusiastic about going for seconds!
Facet dishes are, undoubtedly, one of the best a part of a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Don’t get me fallacious—I really like my Thanksgiving pies. However we’re speaking creamy from-scratch inexperienced bean casserole, flaky smooth dinner rolls, and flavorful cornbread stuffing.
At present’s recipe for home made candy potato casserole is a household favourite. Get pleasure from a easy and creamy candy potato mash topped with a crunchy, toasty, praline-esque pecan topping. As a result of it’s slightly candy, I prefer to serve this casserole with a sprinkle of sea salt and a few savory recent thyme or rosemary. A beautiful stability of texture and taste!
Why You’ll Love This Candy Potato Casserole Recipe
- Creamy + crunchy = great contrasting textures in each chew
- Buttery candy potato mash with a touch of vanilla
- Cinnamon-spiced brown sugar pecan topping
- Candy + salty—a decadent solution to get your vitamin A!
- You’ll be able to conveniently prep it a pair days prematurely
One reader commented: “Very straightforward to make and was an enormous hit at Thanksgiving! Ready the potatoes and topping the night time earlier than so was a fast dish to place collectively and bake on the day. The pecan topping and candy potatoes collectively have been divine! ★★★★★“
10 Elements in This Thanksgiving Facet Dish
- Candy potatoes: You want 2 kilos (908g) for this casserole, which is 3 additional massive candy potatoes or 5 small/medium candy potatoes. Don’t go overboard on the potatoes as a result of the mash will find yourself tasting heavy and dense.
- Butter: For unparalleled buttery taste.
- Brown sugar: I favor darkish brown sugar on this casserole, however mild works too. You’ll use some in each the candy potato mash and the pecan crumble topping.
- Eggs: For construction—they flip this right into a casserole, relatively than a pile of mashed candy potatoes.
- Half-and-half: Half-and-half retains this dish additional creamy. When you’ve got heavy cream readily available to your different cooking and baking wants (like whipped cream & pumpkin pie), you should use that as a substitute.
- Vanilla extract: For only a trace of delicate, fragrant taste.
- Salt: Brings out all of the flavors, and balances the sweetness.
- Flour: Provides construction to the crumbly topping.
- Cinnamon: Enhances each the candy potato and pecan flavors.
- Pecans: Buttery, nutty pecans are the jewels within the candy potato casserole crown!
Plus, ending touches like thyme or rosemary and a sprinkle of sea salt spherical out the whole dish. One reader commented: “The recent rosemary and sea salt made it…*chef’s kiss*. ★★★★★“
Boil & Mash the Candy Potatoes
Begin by peeling the candy potatoes with a vegetable peeler. Boil them in a big pot of water till they’re good and tender. Allow them to cool for about quarter-hour, after which mash. You should utilize a potato masher and a few arm muscle for this, however I often simply use my mixer. As soon as they’re as easy as you’d like (be happy to depart some chunks should you favor them that method!), beat within the eggs, brown sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. These are all of the components you want for the candy potato layer.
FAQ: Can I Use Yams As a substitute of Candy Potatoes in This Casserole?
For one of the best style and texture, I like to recommend utilizing candy potatoes as a substitute of yams.
The names of those two starchy root greens are sometimes used interchangeably, however they’re truly totally different, and originate from totally different continents. Native to Central and South America, candy potatoes usually have orange flesh and a pinkish-brown pores and skin, and are sweeter and creamier in texture when cooked. Native to Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean, true yams have white flesh and a bark-like pores and skin, with a drier, starchier texture—extra like an everyday baking potato.
You could possibly, nevertheless, use purple candy potatoes if you will discover them!
Simple Crunchy Pecan Topping
We’re ending this candy potato casserole with a scrumptious crumbly, praline-esque pecan topping. The crunchy texture contrasts so superbly with the creamy, buttery candy potato mash. It comes collectively rapidly and simply, and makes use of a few of the similar components because the candy potato layer.
Can I Use Marshmallows on This Candy Potato Casserole?
Sure. In case you love marshmallows in your candy potato casserole, you may definitely add them. I wouldn’t depart off the pecan topping, although. (You’ll actually miss that texture!) Add the marshmallows in direction of the tip of the bake time. See recipe Observe beneath for particulars.
The way to Make Candy Potato Casserole Forward of Time
This straightforward aspect dish will be ready forward of time, which everyone knows is a complete lifesaver main as much as Thanksgiving dinner! Right here’s how you can get began:
- 1–2 days earlier than serving: Boil and mash the candy potatoes, add the remaining components to the candy potatoes, and easy right into a baking dish. Put together the topping in a separate bowl. Cowl every individually and refrigerate for as much as 2 days.
- Day of serving: Spoon the topping over the candy potato layer and bake.
- Freezing directions: If assembled, the unbaked casserole will be frozen as much as 2 months. Take it out of the freezer and thaw in a single day within the fridge. Convey the casserole to room temperature and bake.
Extra Thanksgiving Facet Dish Recipes
And naturally… dessert. Listed here are our favourite Thanksgiving pie recipes, together with classics like pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie. Don’t overlook turkey pot pie for any leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
Creamy,comforting,and easy candy potato casserole with a crunchy pecan crumble on high. Texture and flavors are spot on!
- Place the candy potatoes in a big pot or dutch oven and cowl them fully with water. Convey water to a boil. Cut back warmth and simmer for 20 minutes or till the potatoes are tender. Drain the water and permit the candy potatoes to chill for quarter-hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan(or an analogous measurement casserole dish,or a 12-inch oven-safe skillet). Put aside.
- Place the cooked candy potatoes in a big mixing bowl. Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer,beat the potatoes till comparatively easy—I like to depart some chunks for texture. In your reference,you should have about 4 cups of mashed candy potatoes. Add the butter,brown sugar,crushed eggs,half-and-half,vanilla,and salt. Spoon/pour the combination into ready pan.
- For the topping:In a medium bowl,whisk the flour,brown sugar,and cinnamon collectively. Utilizing a silicone spatula,fold within the melted butter and pecans till the combination is completely mixed. Spoon evenly over potatoes.
- Bake for 30–40 minutes or till golden brown on high. Enable to chill for five minutes,then high with slightly recent thyme or rosemary and a sprinkle of sea salt. Serve heat.
- Make Forward &Freezing Directions:This can be a nice make forward recipe! Right here’s how you can get began 1–2 days earlier than:Put together candy potatoes by way of step 3,then put together the topping. Cowl every individually and refrigerate for as much as 2 days. On the day of serving,assemble and bake. Assembled,unbaked casserole will be frozen as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge,convey to room temperature,and proceed with step 5. Baked casserole will be frozen as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge,convey to room temperature,and bake at 350°F (177°C) till warmed by way of.
- Particular Instruments(affiliate hyperlinks):Massive Pot (resembling a Dutch oven) | Vegetable Peeler| 9×13-inch Baking Pan| Glass Mixing Bowls| Electrical Mixer (Handheldor Stand) | Whisk| Silicone Spatula
- Including Marshmallows:In case you love marshmallows on high of your candy potato casserole,you may definitely add them. Bake as directed above,however 5 minutes earlier than it’s completed,add 1 cup marshmallows on high after which end baking.
Key phrases:candy potato casserole