These are mega flaky mushroom puff pastry tarts with tangy gorgonzola cheese, aromatic thyme and rosemary, and a touch of barely candy balsamic vinegar. You’ll take pleasure in all of those sturdy and wealthy flavors on a golden scrumptious cloud of buttery puff pastry layers! The tarts are fabulous as a vegetarian appetizer or snack, or you possibly can serve them as a hearty facet dish at your vacation gatherings.
After we consider tarts, we instantly consider dessert. And also you’re visiting a baking web site that’s primarily crammed with dessert recipes. However I need to admit, I like savory baking. And I’m so excited to share these gorgeously gourmand mushroom tarts with you.
I often make these with do-it-yourself puff pastry, and that’s what you see in these footage. Now, you possibly can completely use store-bought puff pastry as a substitute, however in case you can spare a number of hours for the dough to relax within the fridge, I urge you to attempt my surprisingly easy do-it-yourself tough puff pastry.
Right here’s Why You’ll Love These Mushroom Puff Pastry Tarts
- Positively filled with sturdy taste
- Extremely crisp and buttery
- Meat-free possibility that doubles as an appetizer or facet dish
- You need to use store-bought puff pastry or do-it-yourself
- Use your selection of cheese (gorgonzola was my favourite right here)
- Did I point out flavorful?
Mushroom Tart Elements You Want & Why
You’ll must briefly prepare dinner the mushrooms on the range earlier than layering on the formed pastry. Listed below are the entire finest components to make use of and why:
- Puff Pastry Dough: Home made tough puff is my favourite, however you should use store-bought frozen puff pastry. You’ll want 1 commonplace field, which is 2 sheets. Thaw earlier than shaping.
- Egg Wash: Simply 1 egg with a splash of milk helps the pastry develop a golden-brown shade (like pie crust), seals its form, and helps stop it from turning soggy beneath the topping.
- Butter: For cooking the mushrooms.
- Shallots: Subtly candy shallots, my selection when making this apple cider rooster, are a unbelievable distinction to the earthy mushroom taste and salty cheese.
- Mushrooms: I examined the mushroom tarts a number of occasions, and used quite a lot of mushrooms that every one labored very effectively. Sliced shiitake, child bella (cremini) mushrooms, or any sliced white mushrooms are nice; you may also use a combination.
- Garlic, Salt, & Pepper: Taste, after all.
- Recent Herbs: Rosemary and thyme are my selections right here, the identical I exploit on this full-size butternut squash tart. You need to use dried herbs as a substitute if that’s all you might have.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Stir in 1 Tablespoon after you take away the mushrooms from warmth. Style testers and I discovered the general taste a bit of flat earlier than I added this to the following batch.
- Gorgonzola Cheese: Best choice right here, however I do know it might not be everybody’s favourite cheese. Gruyère is one other fabulous selection, or use goat cheese, gouda, or a pointy white cheddar.
You Can Make the Crust From Scratch
Like I discussed above, you should use store-bought puff pastry or do-it-yourself. The pictured mushroom puff pastry tarts use the identical handmade 5-ingredient tough puff pastry dough we use for berry turnovers. A whole bunch of readers have tried this dough and have been pleasantly stunned with its ease. In case you discover a number of hours (that may be damaged up over a pair days!), attempt the do-it-yourself dough. It’s so price it!
What’s “tough puff” pastry? It’s grow to be a preferred technique for making do-it-yourself puff pastry as a result of it produces bakery-style puff pastry with numerous flaky layers with out the identical time dedication that laminating dough (reminiscent of for croissants) requires. And there’s no yeast wanted. The trick is to work massive items of chilly butter into dry components after which hydrate all of it with ice-cold water. Typically bakers grate butter into the combo or use a meals processor—there are lots of methods to make it.
I exploit it so usually that I created a separate web page for tough puff pastry with a video tutorial simply in case you need it for different recipes that decision for it—like butternut squash tart, cinnamon palmiers, cranberry brie puff pastry tarts, apple turnovers, and even this honey pear tart.
Let’s Discuss Assembling
Upon getting your store-bought dough thawed, or the do-it-yourself dough refrigerated (after the second refrigeration as detailed within the tough puff pastry submit), it’s time to form it. Roll it out to a big rectangle, about 10×17 inches. If utilizing store-bought, which is available in two items, lay one piece excessive of the opposite earlier than rolling. Slice the rectangle down the middle utilizing a pointy knife or pizza cutter:
Slice every into 5 rectangles, which find yourself being round 3.5×5 inches in measurement:
Brush with egg wash, after which crimp the sides with a fork, precisely the way you crimp pie crust:
High with cheese, adopted by the cooked mushroom combination. You’ll bake the mushroom puff pastry tarts on lined baking sheets, and parchment paper sheets are at all times useful right here. I often use (affiliate hyperlink) this model of pre-cut sheets.
Bake till golden brown; I discover 20 to 22 minutes to be loads. When the mushroom puff pastry tarts come out of the oven, they’ll be magically layered like little puff pastry pillows for the tacky mushroom topping! You may end them off with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, further herbs, or a bit of extra cheese. You probably have some balsamic glaze (you possibly can both purchase it or make it your self!), you might add a drizzle of that too.
Take a look at these crisp layers:
Can I Make This Right into a Full-Dimension Mushroom Tart?
Sure, completely! See recipe Notes under.
This recipe is a part of Sally’s Pie Week, an annual custom the place I share a handful of recent recipes that match into the pie/crisp/tart class. Be part of the group under!
These are a savory baking favourite! The person mushroom tarts come along with puff pastry dough; mushrooms, shallots, and herbs; and gorgonzola cheese. You need to use store-bought puff pastry or do-it-yourself pastry dough.
- Dough: Put together do-it-yourself tough puff pastry dough by way of 2nd refrigeration. If utilizing store-bought frozen puff pastry, make certain it’s thawed. Hold both dough within the fridge till step 4 under.
- Topping: Over medium warmth in a big skillet, prepare dinner butter and sliced shallots, stirring usually, till shallots start to melt, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Stir and prepare dinner till mushrooms are delicate, about 5–6 minutes. Take away from warmth and stir in balsamic vinegar. Put aside to barely cool as you roll out the dough.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line 2 massive baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Put aside.
- On a frivolously floured work floor utilizing a frivolously floured rolling pin, roll pastry dough right into a rectangle about 10×17 inches in measurement. (If utilizing store-bought, place the sting of 1 sheet over the opposite and use a rolling pin to stick them collectively. Roll the entire thing out into a ten×17-inch rectangle.) Utilizing a pizza cutter or a pointy knife, reduce down the center so you might have two 5×17-inch rectangles, then reduce throughout so you might have 10 rectangles, every about 3.5×5 inches in measurement.
- Egg Wash & Assemble: Brush egg wash throughout puff pastry rectangles. Crimp edges with a fork. Fastidiously switch dough to lined baking sheets, 5 tarts per sheet. If dough loses form, use your fingers to reshape into rectangles. Sprinkle every with about 1.5 Tablespoons cheese. Spoon the mushroom topping, a few scant 1/4 cup for every tart, over the cheese. Flippantly press down on mushroom topping with the again of a spoon so it sticks to the cheese.
- Bake tarts for 20–22 minutes, or till the pastry is golden brown throughout.
- Take away from the oven and, if desired, garnish with flaky sea salt, extra recent herbs, a bit of further cheese, and/or a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Serve heat or at room temperature.
- Cowl and retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Reheat within the microwave, or cowl with foil and bake in a 300°F (149°C) oven for 8–10 minutes.
- Make-Forward Directions: If utilizing do-it-yourself dough, see the detailed tough puff pastry recipe directions for make-ahead and freezing particulars. You may prep the dough 48 hours upfront or freeze for as much as 1 month. You may also make the mushroom topping forward of time. Full step 2 after which cowl and refrigerate for as much as 1 day earlier than assembling the tarts. (No must deliver to room temperature earlier than utilizing, however you’ll discover the butter barely solidifies within the fridge—that’s okay.) You may also assemble the person tarts forward of time, by way of step 5. Cowl and place the tarts within the fridge for as much as 1 day earlier than baking. No must deliver to room temperature earlier than baking.
- Freezing Directions: You may freeze the baked and cooled tarts for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge and reheat (coated with aluminum foil) in a 300°F (149°C) oven for 8–10 minutes earlier than serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mat or Parchment Paper | Rolling Pin | Pizza Cutter | Pastry Brush
- Mushrooms: Use any mushroom selection that you just take pleasure in. I examined the mushroom tarts a number of occasions, and used quite a lot of mushrooms that every one labored very effectively. Sliced shiitake, child bella (cremini) mushrooms, or any sliced white mushrooms are nice; you may also use a mixture of mushrooms.
- What Different Cheese Can I Use? Gorgonzola was the best choice right here, however it might not be everybody’s favourite cheese! Gruyère is one other fabulous selection, or use gouda, goat cheese, or a pointy white cheddar. It’s a 1:1 swap.
- Full-Dimension Tart: Observe the precise directions right here, solely don’t reduce the rolled-out dough into particular person rectangles. Use the egg wash, crimp the sides with a fork, and scatter the cheese and mushroom topping throughout. Enhance the bake time to about 35–38 minutes. The method is much like my butternut squash tart.
Key phrases: mushroom puff pastry tarts